Monday, October 13, 2008

New drawing on khadi paper

I began a new drawing on Friday. I found some larger sized sheets of the Indian cotton rag or khadi paper and bought these oblong shapes. I was excited to see what I could come up with for them. I used to work regularly on oblong formats and they still excite me in the same way. Somehow they seem to reference a passage of time - as in Japanese scroll paintings. They open up a sort of compositional asymmetry and dissonance that I like to explore as well. I am just in the beginning stages of this piece building up texture and detail in the background and letting the composition evolve.

2 comments:

littlemithi said...

Love the doilies in the background. Are they drawn using the doilie as a stencil?

Claudine said...

They are drawn. For so long I was using the doilies as stencils but washing over them with ink or paint. I like this new approach it gives a crisp and defined shape that I like about the doilies in the first place. I think it adds another dimension to the primarily ink drawings as well.