Friday, July 04, 2008

Bluebird of happiness?... 16"x 20"

I know, I know; but the cynicism of the title is sort of apropos of my life right now. I haven't accomplished a whole lot of painting this week as I have a house guest. But I have begun a new piece. I tried pouring the oil paint. This again was prompted by a visit to a friend's studio, and it is exactly in line with what I did after my undergraduate degree. But I think there is something entirely too arbitrary to it. I quickly needed images and marks upon which to hang and mold the composition. This week I was able to show my house guest my current work, and I think she was most struck by the pen and ink drawings I began - as am I. And I believe that their strength lies in the mark. So I am trying with this painting to begin to explore what the mark means to me within the medium of paint.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I always enjoy reading your commentary about your creative processes! Interesting and beautiful...looks like the bird is pointing with its wing to the "west"...anything meaningful there?

littlemithi said...

Your work is so inspiring Claudine ... I've been thinking a lot about the friendships we all built up in the good old dancing days and still how much of each other's lives we never knew about...

Hugs

Claudine said...

Yea Mithi, Thank you. It is nice to still be in contact with friends made so long ago - and for me, on another continent. It keeps me tied to my wild adventurous self. And thank you so much for being such a steadfast viewer of my blog. It gives me so much encouragement to get those comments now and again. And remember, I'm watching you too!