Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Kizmet


How does it happen?...

The pear picture took me two days of work - maybe four hours. The Braeburn apple - twenty minutes. Where do these things come from? I have been slaving away all summer to nail that loose, effortless aesthetic of the apple painting. And lo and behold, there is no slaving involved in the execution. It is indeed effortless. Of course, I realize that all these images build upon one another and I wouldn't be here without that whole summer of painting. Blah dee blah dee blah...It's like being told to eat your vegetables because they're good for you. In this case, however, the reward is more gratifying.

I finally got some good images of my paintings not the deep dark murky pictures that I continually post. The image of the pear painting hasn't been photoshopped at all! I am forever fooled by the illuminated screen of my digital camera, thinking the picture is correctly exposed. Now I am on the path of overexposure.

Both pieces are 4" x 3" or 3" x 4", as it were.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer the straight still lives you have here - the apple, pear and little foil windmill. You have a knack for mark-making - I seem to remember that you always have - something that has always eluded me (hence flat shapes and tape, etc.) The mark making is more than enough to elicit any other content you want to insert into these. I wonder what would happen if you followed the marks...they may even take you out of the "subject" itself!

Claudine said...

Thanks for the comment, Mindy. You have me thinking about my work in a different way now...