Thursday, October 05, 2006

The Annunciation







In the hopes of illiciting some opinions I am posting photos of The Annunciation, again. The colors have become more vibrant as the painting continues to be worked. I am wondering now if maybe I have collapsed the space because the hues in the background are too saturated or the surfaces aren't modelled enough on the rear cabinets, refrigerator, and stove. I added some red tulips to the foreground, a new and last minute addition that is still in progress. The purplish flowers are myrtle, but I am not happy with how they are turning out. I am working primarily with illustration in this painting - using images based on what they symbolize, constructing a scene in my head and executing it on the canvas rather than merely observing light and form. This is something that I never thought I could do; but I am happy with the results in this piece.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do like this one . . . though I can't quite say why. Let me ponder that bird for a bit. SM