Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Prana


I saw some great work done by my friend's primary school art students. She called them "breath" paintings. The concept of moving media with breath was so exciting I went to the market and bought myself some straws. Voila! I began creating this image by first blowing some light washes around the paper. I am also working with a metallic dry pigment which I hoped would behave more like glitter than it did. I used spray glue and the doilies as stencils then sifted the gold pigment onto the surface expecting it to only adhere to the adhesive. But it worked its way into the fiber of the paper. Not to worry though. Because of this I conversely had a happy accident. Once the adhesive dried it acted as a resist and I was able to expose the doilie by applying a light ink wash over the area - check the bottom right side of the page. Perhaps this is the start of a Prana series...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am more than flattered my friend, thank you! I love your direction with this...and will pull it up tomorrow with my older students, show them how ideas evolve as they are passed from artist to artist. I love the layering of color you've achieved here, accident or not.