Monday, August 28, 2006

First in a series of linocuts.



I have had these linoleum blocks sitting in my studio for a year now. I've always liked the graphic quality of block prints, and was excited to make some myself. But somehow I couldn't find the impetus to put an image on the lino and cut. But here it is...

The image is 3" x 4" printed on a normal size piece of tan cardstock. The print was just a test so the contact isn't good, and it isn't the finished product. I have to get over to the art store and peruse their paper selections. I am thinking I would like to try and print the image on a thin paper, maybe rice paper, something that is light. And I am going to pick up another block - or two. There may be some more lino cuts on the way.

5 comments:

Claudine said...

Heart, yes definitely heart. But it's annoying. Cutting a block and then printing it produces a mirror image. And I think a heart is one of those things that has a recognizable left and right side...

Anonymous said...

I like the block itself, regardless of what the mirror image looks like. Who said it always has to be about the mirror image?

Anonymous said...

And I didnt mean to be anonymous- I just couldn't remember my login.

Claudine said...

I suppose I simply realized that the image is reversed.

Anonymous said...

i like it. i was thinking the heart of the the tree. either way. keep at it. i like your idea of thinner paper, too.