Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hope is a thing with feathers...



It has been a long time since I have sat down to paint, even fleetingly. And I haven't been able to consistently sit down to work for years; but it's been even longer still since I sat down and tried to cope with oil paints. I guess anything can happen.

Work has been very slow and frustrating. I just got married after putting in a hellaciously long season at my pastry chef position; and once we returned from our honeymoon in Europe I wondered, "What the hell do I do now?" And not just "now" as in "to occupy my time"; but "Now" as in "with my life". Although I am trying not to let this all be burdened with too much meaning. We've no money, I've too much free time, and Phoenix has become excrutiatingly hot. Usually for me times like these are the antithesis to painting. (Although the last six years of life have seemingly also been the antithesis to painting.) Somehow, I have managed to eke out a little space in the studio and in my mind to try this out again.

Let's hope (with bated breath).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I think you and I are in similar space. It hasn't been 6 years for me, but long enough, and the sentiment is the same.